Sunday 10 June 2007

Episode 1 (Pilot)

I am standing by the office of New Boss, waiting for him. It is my first day in my new job, and it really feels like being a new girl in a new school. Am nervous, just like all those times I would start new schools when I was a kid, and go through the process of meeting everyone, making friends, easing into a new life while being paranoid that no one will ever want to be my friend and that I will be the Loner forever (which usually only lasts a few days).

New Boss arrives, totally jet laggued as he has just flown on the red eye from NY, and whisks me away for a wake up and debrief coffee. While we talk I have to mentally shut out the voices of those two imaginary little people you see in cartoons: a little devil on one shoulder (in my case telling me ths new job is a bad idea) and the little angel on the other shoulder (saying how exciting all this and that at last I have MADE IT and that I am going to do fanstically well).

This is it! A whole new life is about to begin, after an initial training in Europe, I am starting my new job in Asia in a few weeks.
Just to make sure I did not forget anything:
- Leave flat: check
- Leave friends behind: check
- Leave family: check
- Break up relationship with the boyfriend: check
- Leave old job: check
- Panic a bit: check
But despite all the self doubt, I also feel more excited than I have been in a long time.

A new start, a new life is about to begin, and I have every intention of having lots of riveting stuff to report on it..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Hong Kong!

Evie said...

Thank you v much! I am cheating because not there yet, in about 6-8 weeks..

ShyRocket said...
This comment has been removed by the author.