Ahhh London. It definitely tops my list of favorite things ever (with Artichoke, Beetroot, Salty Liquorice, Edinburgh, Helsinki, and people with a wonderful sense of humour).
Five years ago I arrived in this big city where I did not know a single saoul. Ok I lie, I knew one single saoul, a friend from school from when I was 10. I look fondly upon these past five years and notably:
- how young and inexperienced I was in my first and very new job. To which I arrived 1 hour late on the very first day, because the Northern underground line was shut down (anyone surprised here?) and I had no idea how to get from Clapham North to Liverpool Street
- the bunch of amazing friends I have made here. I am no fool, London is London and most of these people will eventually go back to where they come from, countries more or less far away. And in a way I am lucky to be one of the first to leave (it's less difficult!). I miss not seeing them as often in HK, but I am certain many will remain friends for life
- those nights at the Walkabout in Temple, where we danced like nobody was watching and lived like it was our last day on earth
- those July 14th evenings at the French Lycee, they were usually phenomenal
- those lazy strolls through Camden (including visits to the Russian tea toom in Chalk Farm), Covent Garden, the South Bank
- the time I moved into a new flatshare and got myself nearly thrown out a week later because we had a flat party and my friends were judged too loud and rude by the other flatmates
- the moments with Le Poulet, I will never look on them as a waste of time, but rather than living the present, enjoying it
- those house parties where we wore the silliest costumes on earth and danced our tits off
- the laughs, especially when going out for drinks, only drinking water, but indluging into so much silliness and giggling that we looked drunk to others.
There are many more, and I realise that many of thes emoments are the past, and that they should be enjoyed to the full when they occur, and remembered once they are past. I hope to get together an equally amazing life in my new city. But you know what? I am pretty sure I will , just a gut feeling.